Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Power of We

As you may have noticed, a few weeks ago I posted an Obama 08 icon on the side bar. I’m not usually one to get that involved in politics. I mean, I’ve always voted and can probably name the presidents and vice presidents of the last thirty years, but I don’t put campaign bumper stickers on my car and the only sign I’ve ever planted in my lawn was one in support of the troops which was there both before and after doing so became a political statement. I’ve never been to a political rally, never given money to a campaign, and never gone knocking door to door drumming up support for any particular candidate. And so I it is surprising to me that I find myself publicly endorsing a particular candidate. And a democratic candidate at that.

I’ve thought for awhile for a way to express why I feel so passionately about Barack Obama and his ideas, but could never put the words to paper. I’ve come to realize in the last couple of weeks exactly why I believe in him so much. It is all about one word. We. His message is about is a sense of commitment, of inspiration, of leadership, of collaboration. Not about what he will do for us, not about what this country should be giving us, but about what should be in reach when you, yourself stand up to grab it. This is a sentiment I believe in whole-heartedly.

I’ve read his plan for the presidency and his book The Audacity of Hope. I’ve listened to his speeches and watched the debates and I believe he can lead the people of this country towards greater things. And if you are tempted to dismiss my opinion as another under-forty, latte-sipping, urban-dwelling (newly minted), blogging liberal, well, then take it from these guys instead. . . . .

The Boys Of Bend (OR)
http://my.barackobama.com/page/community/post/greghauenstein/gGBdmk


OREGON VOTES COUNT MAY 20TH

No comments: