Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Welcome to the eye of the storm. . .

So I'm not sure exactly how you are supposed to start one of these things so I'll just start. Its really just for me anyway. I mean who's gonna read the incoherent rambling's of a thirty-something working mother living her life on the brink of sanity - or is it insanity? All I know is that there is a fine line between the two and it seems to be getting harder and harder to distinguish. I know part of my stress is me and how I see and deal with things and really, I'm working on that. Or at least, I'm trying to get around to working on that. I'm trying to learn to just go with the flow a bit more, take things as they come - you know, be a little more zen with life. That doesn't always work out for me. Take last week for example. It was your typical rat race of a week - daycare drop-off, work, lunchtime errands, work, daycare pick-up, WTH is for dinner, QT with the kids, baths, laundry, brainless TV, fall into bed - when around 2:00pm on Thursday the daycare number shows up on my caller id at work. This can't be good. It's my daughter's teacher saying that she has a fever of 100.9 and seems to be getting a cold so she needs to be picked up within the hour. An hour. They do realize we work at work, right? We aren't just sitting here in a cube to get away from our kids - although that isn't a bad idea. And let me point out that picking up my daughter because she has a fever today means that I will also be out tomorrow. See, their policy is that they have to be fever-free for 24hrs before they can return to daycare. So even if, by a miracle of god, she no longer had a fever at that moment, she still couldn't return until 2:00pm the next day. It means I'm out tomorrow too. Sooo, I shipped a package that had to go out, changed my outgoing email and vmail messages, rescheduled my two meetings I had the next day, called my husband - twice - dropped off a laptop to a user at another location, called my c0-worker, called my boss and actually made it to daycare within the hour. Not sure how. It was like some kind of bizarro time warp thing, but I pulled in with a minute to spare. This whole time I'm thinking, why now? Why when I have a million things to do at work and ten million to do at home, and all I really want is a break from it all, I now have to detour everything to take care of a sick baby, (you don't need to point out that this is indeed a selfish point of view being that my child is sick) when suddenly it hit me. . . . Detour of everything. Detour of everything. Except for a baby who, with the right (and completely correct) dose of Motrin, will sleep the afternoon away, I will be home, alone, hours before any actual work is required of me. The afternoon is mine. A blessing in disguise. A detour of everything. Heaven. Now usually this would not have dawned on me. I would have continued to cuss the fates that drug me from productivity and sulked away the afternoon mentally bitching out my husband for not being the one that has to drop everything at a moment's notice nurse sick children. But like I said, I'm working on it. . . . trying to be more zen, and cool like dat. So I embraced the detour and all it had to offer. . . . like cookie dough and an entire Tivo'd episode of Judging Amy.

No comments: