Monday, April 07, 2008

Running With The Devil. . . .

While cleaning out folders on my hard drive today, I ran across a quote I had saved. It comes from the book Jesus and the Lost Goddess by Timothy Freke and Peter Gandy. When I opened it today it made me pause and think the way I remember it did the day I found it floating somewhere on the internet. About the abandoment and shame, the hate and torture, the bigotry and war that has come from organized religion throughout history. Each side fighting for moral superiority as if being right somehow ensures a place in the afterlife. Perhaps, as this quote eludes, the joke is on us. . . . .

“Religion is the Devil’s greatest achievement. In the guise of religion he has pulled off his most audacious coup. He has flagrantly masqueraded as God. He has had us bow down and worship him. He has had us commit every type of evil in the name of holiness. He has passed off his bigotry as God’s opinions. He has had us segregate humanity into the ‘ins’ and the ‘outs’, believers and non-believers, the saved and the damned. He has convinced us that God likes us but not them. And convinced them that God likes them but not us. An then, in a stroke of dark brilliance, he warns his faithful flock of sheep: ‘Be sure you do not heed to anyone but me, for the Devil is a wily wolf and he will surely trick you.’ “

No comments: